Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Memories of My Classrooms, Sept. 2nd, 2008

Today I took the day off to catch up after a wonderful weekend away with my family, hanging out at a cabin at Mahoney State Park.

This morning has been filled with an abundance of quietness in my home. I am missing my children, who are already off on their learning journeys. I am quickly reminded of how much I am also missing the children I once taught, and the millions of memories that reside within my heart, soul, and mind of the sixteen years that I spent as an educator of children.

I loved each of my years as a teacher. My favorite thing that came from each year was watching each child find his or her strengths, and expanding those strengths to overcome obstacles in other learning, or lifetime journeys. As an educator, it was amazing to just let go of 'teaching', and become a facilitator in the classroom setting, allowing each child to discover who they were, and to realize how little they needed me as a teacher. I knew that I had fulfilled my promises, and personal goals when a child needed only my presence in the classroom.

I wanted to be a teacher since I was a second grader in Mrs. Stelk's classroom at Knickrehm Elementary, and looking back I think it was because she knew that being a teacher meant giving me the tools I needed to become who I was destined to be--an educator. Thanks, Mrs. Stelk, for teaching me how to love teaching and for modeling how to discover worth, dreams, and full potential.

To the students who I was lucky enough to have in my classroom, may you continue your learning journey, with all of the strength that you have so freely shown me. I am proud to have watched you discover your worth, your dreams, and your potential. May you continue to grow.

1 comment:

TJ Shay said...

Julie,

Thoughtful and beautiful post today! I am glad that you have a little quiet time to regroup, that is so important.

I went to a former student's wedding this past weekend and I am as amazed at watching the journey into adulthood as I was watching the journey in education! It is good to be in education!